Black-eyed peas are a staple in Southern New Year’s dinner tradition. Eating black-eyed peas are thought to bring prosperity and good luck into the new year. The problem is, I never much cared for them growing up. That all changed a few years ago when I spent New Years’ in New York City and got inspired by a dish I tried at Brooklyn Bowl. They had a black-eyed pea salad on their special NYE menu, which was a fresh take on an old dish. Black-eyed peas were tossed with red peppers, spices, onions, and tomatoes in a tasty seasoning blend. I enjoyed the dish so much, I decided to recreate my own version at home.
I love this dish because it’s very versatile. You can eat it as a side dish (I love eating this alongside Spanish yellow rice), treat it as a salsa, or put it on top of leafy greens to make a hearty salad. It’s simple to make, fresh and healthy! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and make it your own! I hope you have an enjoyable New Year’s and take time to reflect on 2018 and set your intentions for the year to come!
– 2 packets of steamed black-eyed peas
– 1 red pepper
– 1 yellow or orange pepper
– 1/2 red onion
– 2 ears of super sweet corn
– 5 sprigs of fresh parsley
– Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
– Crushed red pepper flakes
– Black pepper
– Salt (kosher or Himalayan pink)
– 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
– 1/2 tsp Cumin
– Juice of half a lemon
*Everything in this recipe was purchased at Trader Joes. Click here to find a location near you.
• Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
• Rinse and strain steamed black-eyed peas. Season with 1/2 tsp of sea salt (If you prefer, you can also soak and steam fresh beans in advance.)
• While peas are straining, shuck and rinse corn. Cut kernels off the cob with a sharp knife (Be careful).
• Put fresh kernels in a bowl and season with crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika black pepper, and salt.
• Add approx 1 Tbsp of EVOO & toss until all kernels are thoroughly coated
• Spread corn mixture in an even layer on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray
• Roast corn for 15 mins at 420 degrees or until some kernels start turning brown.
• While corn is roasting dice the peppers and red onion into 1/4″ cubes & sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt
• Finely chop 5 sprigs of fresh parsley (removing stems)
• Combine black-eyed peas, corn, peppers, onion, and parsley in large bowl and add 1/2 tsp of cumin, a dash of smoked paprika and cracked black pepper & salt to taste.
• Add 2 Tbsp of high-quality EVOO and 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and lemon juice and toss thoroughly ensuring the seasoning mixture is well combined.
• Taste seasoning level and make any adjustments as necessary.
• Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to marinate.
One Reply to “New Year’s Recipe: Black-eyed Peas & Roasted Corn Salad”