Hi friends! I’m admittedly late to the air fryer party because I didn’t want another kitchen gadget collecting dust in my home. But I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong! The GoWise USA air fryer is, by far, my best quarantine purchase ever! I had no idea how this device would open up a new realm of healthy & simplified cooking for me. I’ve had fun experimenting with all sorts of food in my air fryer including: fish fillets, crispy potatoes, roasted veggies, and even flatbreads!
In comes my latest air fryer experiment gone right, my zucchini/squash fritters that are the result of me having leftover squash after a family cookout on my rooftop. I wanted a creative way to prepare my leftover squash that didn’t entail sautéeing or grilling, and that’s when the idea of fritters came to mind.
I went with a tex-mex style when choosing the ingredients because they were already available in my fridge and the end result was incredible! If I didn’t prepare them myself, I would have sworn they were deep-fried even though I barely used any oil in the process.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! It was a hit at family brunch this past weekend. Bon appétit!
What You’ll Need:
- 3-4 Medium sized zucchini or squash
- 1/2 Large onion or 1 small onion
- 1 Cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup of cheese (you pick! – I’ve used sharp cheddar or cotija)
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 Tbsp of Kosher salt
- 1 tsp of cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
- Large grater
- Cheese cloth or paper towels
- Olive oil
What to Do:
Step 1: Prep & drain the squash
- Shred squash using a cheese grater.
- Place shredded squash into a colander and cover with 2 Tbsp of kosher salt. Allow to drain naturally for 20-30 minutes.
- Press remaining water from squash using cheesecloth or paper towels.
Step 2: Prep remaining ingredients
- Dice onion & jalapeño.
- Thaw corn at room temperature.
- Grate cheese
Step 3: Combine squash, onion, jalapeño, corn, cheese, eggs, black pepper, pinch of kosher salt, panko bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
Step 4: Form patties and set aside on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 5: Cover & refrigerate patties for at least 30 minutes, but you can store up to 3 days.
Step 6: Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 400F degrees. Lightly spray patties with oil and airfry for 8-10 minutes.