Hi beautiful souls! This Savory Sweet Potato Salad bowl is the result of me wanting to kick my salads up a notch (and use up some veggies that were hanging around with no place to go lol). As someone who eats a majority vegetarian diet and is passionate about maintaining phenomenal health, I’m always looking for ways to create nutrient-dense recipes that give me the most bang for my caloric buck.
This salad consists of kale, cherry tomatoes, crispy chickpeas, marinated artichokes (I buy mine from Trader Joe’s), and the star, roasted sweet potatoes! The great thing about this salad is that it’s easy to make on the fly! You can prepare the majority of these ingredients in advance during your weekly meal prep and store them in airtight containers in the refrigerator until you’re ready to go. This makes assembly a piece of cake!
Hearty salads are a great way to combine wonderfully rich ingredients that keep your nutrient intake high and your belly full without derailing your health and fitness goals. Replacing just one meal per day with a hearty salad can help you achieve better health outcomes and a smaller waistline.
Here are some of the health benefits you receive from this all-star team:
- Great sources of Vitamin A & C which are also powerful antioxidants, which help keep cells happy and healthy!
- They’re a fantastic source of manganese, a mineral that helps produce collagen and promotes healthy, beautiful skin and strong healthy bones.
- They’re anti-inflammatory, which is important because inflammation in the body leads to sickness and chronic disease.
- They’re full of fiber which helps reduce blood sugar & insulin spikes.
- They can help support weight loss.
Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
- Rich in plant-based protein
- Promotes fullness + appetite regulation
- The high fiber content helps improve digestion
- Reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
- Supports blood sugar control
- Artichokes are loaded with nutrients, are low in fat while rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Artichokes are rich sources of folate, vitamins C and K.
- Artichokes provide other minerals, such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron.
- May lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase good cholesterol (HDL)
- May help regulate blood pressure
- May improve liver health
- May improve digestive health & reduce symptoms of IBS
- Has anti-cancer effects
Ingredients you can prepare in advance:
The Dope Seasoning:
- 2 Tbsp. Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. crushed black pepper
Combine ingredients in a small dish or resealable jar.
Note: If you have a mortar and pestle, you can grind these together using fresh cumin seeds, whole Pink Himalayan sea salt crystals & black peppercorns to create an even more flavorful blend.
- Thoroughly rinse and drain canned chickpeas. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove any excess water.
- Place chickpeas in a medium-sized bowl
- Season chickpeas with 1 Tbsp. The Dope Seasoning blend
- Lightly drizzle chickpeas with 1-2 tsp. of extra-virgin olive oil (just enough to coat the chickpeas)
- Use a large spoon to mix the ingredients well to ensure chickpeas are evenly coated
- Toss chickpeas into a hot nonstick skillet (medium-high heat)
- Cook chickpeas for 5-7 minutes until crispy. You should hear them start to pop.
- Remove from heat.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel and rinse the sweet potato
- Carefully chop into 1″ cubes
- Toss the chopped sweet potato into a medium bowl
- Season sweet potatoes with 1 Tbsp. brown sugar + 1 tsp. The Dope Seasoning blend
- Drizzle 1Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil over ingredients and thoroughly mix
- Place sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes.
The Dope Vinaigrette:
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. The Dope Seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of white balsamic, white wine or red wine vinegar
Combine The Dope Seasoning blend, parsley, lemon zest, and olive oil with a small whisk at the bottom of salad bowl, slowly whisk in vinegar until well combined.
Note: By putting the dressing at the bottom of the bowl, you can prepare this salad in advance and store it without worrying about the ingredients getting soggy. Simply toss right before serving! If you’re making a single serving and eating right away, you can always prepare the dressing on the side and drizzle on top! 😀
Prepare the salad:
- Rinse & massage kale in a strainer and pat dry.
- Layer kale on top of salad dressing at the bottom of the bowl
- Zest and juice 1 lemon. Set aside zest for later.
- Cover kale with the lemon juice
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and layer on top of the kale.
- Add crispy chickpeas, roasted sweet potatoes, and marinated artichokes.
- Toss salad to incorporate dressing at the bottom of the bowl. Enjoy!
Add these other nutritious ingredients to remix this salad your way!
Roasted pumpkin seeds
I really hope you enjoy this recipe and fall in love with eating food that’s good for you! Taking supreme care of yourself is the first step to a beautiful life. It’s how you show yourself love on a daily basis. Pour love into yourself by choosing to eat healthy, flavorful, and nutritious meals so that you can feel & look your best. I’m rooting for you!